An air fryer is one of the most popular kitchen appliances that cook the food in a different method known as a convection mechanism. It’s a healthy cooking technique that uses hot air around the food for cooking. Because of its compact size and elegant design, it beautifully fits in your kitchen space because of its compact size and elegant design.
Beyond all the benefits, you need to remember that it’s an electrical appliance that is prone to faults also. For example, while cooking in your air fryer, you discover that it’s generating smoke all of a sudden. But don’t get worried, every problem has a solution too! Even there are few common problems you may face in the long run with your air fryers.
As a new user, you may not know what types of air fryer problems that you might encounter in the long run? And, what you have to do in such a situation? To get all these answers, you need to read the article completely.
How long does an air fryer last?
Actually, the life of an air fryer depends on how well you maintain it and how good the quality is. If you purchase a high-quality air fryer from a reliable brand then you could expect at least three years of service from it.
Air Fryer Problems And Solutions
Basically, an air fryer is the updated version of a traditional oil fryer that deliver outstanding frying result with minimal use of oil. The cooking process of an air fryer is quite similar to an Outdoor Fish Fryer but both are different by nature.
However, sometimes you might encounter some problems with your air fryer. Right below this section, we are going to list some of the common air fryer problems and their solutions.
1. Air Fryer Power Issue
Air fryer power issue is one of the most common issues that mostly encounter by the air fryer user. You may face this problem in two different ways. First one, the power of the air fryer doesn’t come at all. And, the second one is the power suddenly goes out while you’re still cooking.
If your air fryer has a power issue, the first thing that you have to do is to check the power outlet cord of the air fryer. Make sure the cord is connected properly. If the cable is not connected properly, unplug and reconnect it. Through this, you can turn on the device again.
After reconnecting the plug if the problem still exists then possibly there is a problem with the circuit breaker. It might get blown and you need to change it if it gets blown.
If the power outlet is properly connected, and the circuit breaker is also okay then it’s time to check the timer of the air fryer. Because sometimes air fryer power doesn’t come back if the timer is set in the middle of the cooking session. Stop the timer will resolve the problem.
After doing all this if the problem still exists then it’s time to go for a new one and throw it into the recycle bin.
2. Old Food Smell
Old food smell is one of the most irritating problems that some people usually face with their air fryer. It’s happened when you’re not cleaning the air fryer properly.
As the source of this problem is not cleaning this appliance properly, you can eliminate the problem with proper cleaning. Make sure you’ve washed the air fryer deeply and thoroughly so that all the lingering food smell wash out with your cleaning.
3. Air fryer Smoking Issue
Considering all the air fryer issues this one is the worst. Some people started to dislike the air frying method just because of this problem. Basically, the problem arises when there is excess oil remain at the bottom of your air fryer.
As this problem arises from the excess oil residue, sucking up the oil will eliminate this problem. To remove the access oil you can use anything that is capable to eat all the oil. For example, you can use a slice of bread.
Then clean the appliance bottom with water to get rid of excess oil. If the above step unable to solve this problem, then you need to place the air fryer below an extractor fan. Hopefully, this will help you to eliminate this problem.
4. Overcooked/Burned Food
Burning or overcooking food is a common problem for new air fryer users. This happens more frequently with those users who try to cook oven recipes in the air fryer.
The best thing you can do to avoid this problem is to check your food frequently. By doing this often, you can make sure that the food is not overcooked or burned. This is necessary only when you try a new recipe and don’t have any idea about the exact cooking time. With the time being, you will get used to that and learned about the appropriate time of cooking.
5. Not Getting the Food as Expected
An air fryer is the healthiest way to cook your food. It uses hot air instead of other cooking oil and ingredients that actually increase the taste of food. So by nature, you can’t expect something crispy and delicious rather than healthier food from an air fryer. But still, if you want to get tastier food with your air fryer we have a solution for you.
The solution to this problem is very easy. You need to provide something on your air fryer that can assist the air fryer to make your food tasty and crispy. Apply some oil on your food through a sprayer or mister before you place the food inside the air fryer. This will provide you tasty and crispy food that you won’t even understand the foods are air-fried foods.
6. Food is Flying inside Your Air Fryer
Pumping hot air inside the air fryer is the general process of cooking food on an air fryer. Continuously pumped air puts a gentle pressure on your food. If the food is thin and light it flies inside the air fryer and blocks the heating component of hot air.
You can not stop the flying air but the thing you can do is using something to prevent your food from flying inside the air fryer. With the two easiest tactics, you can do this. The first tactic is using a second wire rack over the foot holder or the first wire rack to hold the food down.
And the second tactic is to pin the food using wooden toothpicks. Don’t count this problem as a simple issue while the flying food could cause a dangerous issue with your heating element.
7. White Smoke Issue
Sometimes you may notice that your air fryer is producing white smoke. In most cases, they are steam of the food that you are cooking on an air fryer. But sometimes it could be real smoke caused by internal machinery problems.
As we’ve said in most cases food steams are seem like white smoke. This usually happens when you cooking moist or fatty food. In both cases, the vaporized air seems like white smoke.
By smelling it, you can easily identify that if it is food steam, or smoke caused by an internal problem. If the smell is of your cooking food then it is steam and if the smell feels like fire then there’s something wrong. Unplug the socket immediately and take it to a repair shop to fix the problem or go for a new one.
Maintenance and Cleaning tips for air fryer
One of the greatest advantages of air-fried foods is they won’t make things as messy as traditional deep frying food. As the air fryer cooking basket remains completely enclosed, it prevents all the fat, grease, oil splattering.
But it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to clean the air fryer. For getting tasty and healthy food, it’s essential to clean the air fryer every time you use it. Below this segment, we’re going to give you some easy tips to maintain and clean the air fryers.
- First, you need to unplug the air fryer socket and give it some time to cool down.
- Take a damp cloth and clean the outside of the air fryer gently.
- Deeply wash the accessories of your air fryer with warm water and dishwashing soap. Besides, you need to remember that all the removable accessories of the air fryer are dishwasher safe so you can easily clean them on the dishwasher without any tension.
- Take a sponge and a bowl of hot water to clean the inside of the air fryer.
- You can take a brush to remove the stuck food from the heating elements or the food basket.
- After cleaning all the components, including pan, tray, basket, etc. let them dry properly before putting them back on the air fryer.
- Never use any utensils to remove the stuck food because the air fryer components are non-stick coating. Any utensil or abrasive sponge can put a scratch on them.
- Sometimes stuck food on the basket & pan gets too hard that you can’t easily remove. In such case, soak them in hot water & soap. This will loosen the stuck foods and you can easily remove them.
- If you’re cooking the same type of food consecutively, you don’t need to clean it every time. It’s better to wait some time until the final batch completed.
To get a long-lasting service from your air fryers, along with regular cleanings, you need to do some basic maintenance. Down this segment, we are going to show you some of the basic maintenance that you can do with your air fryers.
- Inspect the cord of your electrical appliances before you use it. A damaged cord could do serious injury even death. So always make sure the cord is clean and damage-free before you plugged it into the power outlet.
- If you don’t use the air fryer for a long period of time then it’s important to clean it properly. Because debris may grow up due to a long time break. So check the inside and clean it properly before you turn it on and start cooking.
- Always place the air fryer upright on a level surface.
- Don’t place the air fryers with other appliances or walls to avoid any potential damage. Because an air fryer requires at least 4-inches of space behind and above to vent the food steam adequately.
- Carefully inspect all the components of the air fryer including basket, pan, etc., and make sure there is no damage. If you detect any damaged components inform the manufacturer & replace them.
When you want to cook your food in the healthiest way, an air fryer is an ideal option. Though cooking in the air is easy and simple, it’s better to learn some tricks and tips to avoid air fryer problems that people usually encounter with their air fryer.
Otherwise, you won’t know what to do when there is white smoke in your air fryer, or what to do with undercooked and overcooked food? By learning the reason behind these problems, you can easily fix them whenever you fall into any of these situations, unfortunately.